November 18, 2020 - November 18, 2023
Today kids yoga pratice is getting bigger. The modern world, beset with lifestyle diseases emanating from stress and indulgence. It has realised the need to make kids familiar with Yoga to create a lifelong practice for overall well being.
Motivating kids to be active can be a struggle. While yoga is a hugely beneficial exercise for children of all ages, they aren’t interested in traditional asanas or highly structured yoga classes. Luckily, there are tons of engaging yoga videos out there produced especially for children.
Why do children need yoga?
India has had a long lost tradition of sending young children to stay and study in Gurukulas. Also in Ashrams where sages imparted life skills. In such learning centres Yoga was an important part of the curriculum. Supple bodies and curious minds very quickly grasp the rudiments of Yoga thus laying a firm foundation for a healthy lifestyle as an adult.
Children spend most of their time shunting between homework and school related extra-curricular activities. There’s little time for free play. They face over stimulation; distractions; and academic and peer pressure too early in life. Plus they’re plagued by their own insecurities and fears. Yoga can help children deal with this pressure-cooker environment. And infuse energy and confidence into their personalities.
1. Yoga develops awareness of body, mind and breath.
2. Helps arrest a child’s wandering mind. Builds attention span and concentration power.
3. Augments imagination and creativity.
4. Relieves mental and physical fatigue. Boosts energy levels and provides deep relaxation too.
5. Helps overcome negative emotions like jealousy, fear and anger.
6. Fosters a positive self image and increases confidence.
7. Increases breathing and lung capacity.
8. Exercises, strengthens and lengthens different muscles in the body.
9. Encourages healthy food habits. A blessing for parents who have to deal with picky eaters and junk food addiction
10. Reduces obsession with TV and other electronic devices